Glasgow: 0141 221 5562 Edinburgh: 0131 220 7660

Can I change the locks on my spouse?

Can I change the locks on my spouse?

As family lawyers we are regularly asked the question: Can I change the locks on my spouse? This is probably one of the most common questions I am asked when dealing with a client's separation or divorce.

The short answer is no. Regardless of whose name the property is in, each spouse has the right to occupy the property. These rights are known in Scots Law as 'occupancy rights'.

The only way to legally exclude your spouse from the family home is by

The Divorce Process - a new stance on finance!

A new rule came into effect on 1 August 2012 for the divorce process. In divorce cases with a financial element, whether it is a claim for a capital sum or sale of the matrimonial property, both parties must complete a Form 13A.

This form must be completed by the party raising the action before the action is raised in Court.? The form asks for details of matrimonial property and debts as at the relevant date.

What?is matrimonial property and debts?

  • Matrimonial property is property

The Benefits of Child Contact Centres

In most cases when parents separate it is in the best interests of a child to remain in contact with both of them. Sometimes this can be very difficult for the parents themselves to arrange. Child contact centres provide a key role in helping children affected by family breakdown to maintain a relationship with the parent who no longer lives with them in a safe, neutral environment, away from high conflict situations.

What types of contact are there?

- In centre supported contact a child